Monday, November 10, 2014

The Paper reflection

In the movie The Paper, it provides an inside look on the world of journalism on a college level. I loved how the film discussed racial and ethical issues. When the editor-in-chief, James Young, did not feel as though having diversity was important, it made me feel uncomfortable. Being a woman of African American descent and part Native American, I believe diversity is an important factor. When you have diversity it opens up new ideas because having people from different backgrounds promotes inclusiveness. When two openly gay males and wrote a letter to the editor about his disdain for it, an ethical issue was brought up. Should you publish something that is offensive to a select group of people? Personally, I would have because it is what makes news. People love reading about conflict. The character I most identified with in the story was Bridget Smith. Smith felt as though she was responsible for the decrease in circulation of the newspaper. I find myself putting too much pressure or taking responsible when things go unsuccessful in my organization. I love how she has a passion for publishing great articles that will educate and inform the public. One thing I admired about the Daily Collegian was their strive to remain the best. The group discussions were good to view and it made me want to attend the NTDaily's meeting to see how to brainstorm story ideas. It was a relief to see students stress over contacting sources and creating news worthy content that will get people creating conversations about it. I love how engaged the students were when trying to find stories or possessing aggressiveness to get an answer. The sports writer, Jenny Vrentas, said people don't take her serious as a sports writer because she is a girl. I loved how she stayed after the game and remained persistent when she wanted to interview the football player. She even went to his house to got to know him on a personal level, which is important in journalism.Once people feel as though they can trust you and are comfortable with you, the more they are willing to tell you. People distrust the media and feel as though it does not tell the real story. The millennials are going to be the next reporters and it's important they take pride in what they produce such as the Pennsylvania State University students did in this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment