Thursday, October 9, 2014

Apple says iOS Encryption Protects Privacy; FBI raises crime fears

Day: Wednesday

Date: 10/8/14

Time: 3 minutes and 54 seconds
Program: ATC 

Which topics were covered during the listening slot?  Technology, government 

Specifically, discuss your impressions concerning the depth of the coverage, competency, accuracy and newsworthiness of the stories you hear:
I was impressed with the depth of coverage it provided with a lot of insight about how the encryption on the iPhone operates. I like how it was relevant because the iPhone 6 came out not too long ago and it was sold out in various stores. They did an great job on providing excellent quotes from both parties.I got to hear what Apple's view was about the situation as well at the FBI's. It allowed me to construct my own opinion about whether or not the government should be allowed access.

If you aren't an active listener to NPR, discuss what it's like to get information in a radio format. Do you like it? Did it engage you? Will you be coming back to NPR for your news fix?
I am in the middle of whether or not I like to get my information from the radio. While the voices were pleasant to listen to I prefer to have a visual. I will probably occasionally utilize it if I want to be updated on current news and I am on campus but not while I am at home.

What particular story or stories grabbed your interest? Give a brief description of the story and tell me who was the reporter. What impressed you the most about the journalism? If you were not impressed, what went wrong with the piece? How was sound used in the story?

It was a very interesting story because it dealt with the FBI wanting Apple to stop making products that encrypt the data where neither the FBI or Apple can gain access. Apple stated they wanted to protect the privacy of the phone user but the FBI warned it could block valuable information they would need to solve cases.  This article goes back to the Edward Snowden case where he leaked information about the NSA monitoring the public's conversations. The reporter was Brian Naylor.  What impressed me the most was the flow of the program it was very easy to listen to and follow. I was mostly interested in this piece because I do have an iPhone and lately celebrities have been getting hacked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment